Hello friends! University Scholarship Program (USP) for this academic year 2019-2020 will offer 100-120 scholarships (depending on the number of applications) of $300 each to support first-year students of full-time study from 7 universities as follows:
- Hue University of Agriculture and Forestry
- Hue College of Economics - Hue Univesity
- Can Tho University
- University of Economics HCMC
- Vietnam National University HCMC - University of Science
- Vietnam National University HCMC - University of Social Sciences and Humanities
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy HCMC
These students must come from low-income families, portray a strong willingness to overcome difficulties, attain good academic record, hold a sense of personal and social development and have the potential to become future leaders. The scholarships are used to support financially to students in the first year of university, creating more favorable conditions for them to continue studying and maximizing their capabilities. VietHope will not charge for any further expenses.
USP scholars also have the opportunity to apply for Youth Development Program (YDP) held annually in the summer (July - August) for 60 students in Southern Vietnam and Hue for one week - a continuation of the scholarship on soft skills which is worth $170/scholarship. During the program, students will receive interactive training in Communications, Teamwork, Project Management and Critical thinking. In particular, the participants will directly formulate a plan and implement their community projects into real life situations.
In addition, USP recipients can participate in inspiring series of free talkshows of Youth Workshop Program (YWP) hosted by VietHope and Alumni Development Program (ADP) with experienced and prestigious speakers in various areas.
II/ SELECTION CRITERIA
1. First-year student studying full-time at university
2. Needs financial support to cover educational expenses: They have an underprivileged economic background, family income is unable to cover expenses related to education.
3. Perseverance and a desire to learn. Willingness to overcome current difficulties to attain future goals. Have a spirit of community development
4. Personal viewpoint and competencies: have the ability to present clearly and persuasively, be able to demonstrate deductive & analytical thinking through answering questions and presenting varying viewpoints on a number of issues.
III/ LIST OF PARTICIPATING UNIVERSITIES IN 2019-2020
- Central Vietnam (2 universities): Hue University of Agriculture and Forestry, Hue College of Economics - Hue Univesity
- Southern Vietnam (4 universities): University of Economics HCMC, VNU HCMC - University of Science, VNU HCMC - University of Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Medicine and Pharmacy HCMC
- Mekong Delta (1 university): Can Tho University
- August 23, 2019 (specific time depending on the university)
Start issuing the application form and receiving the scholarship form
- September 23, 2019
Deadline for collecting all paper applications from all universities
- September 27, 2019
Deadline for online application from all universities
- November 11 - 13, 2019
Announce the shortlisted candidates to universities. Contact students to schedule an interview
- November 16 - 24, 2019 (tentative)
Interview students in the short list (usually on Saturday, Sunday)
- November 30, 2019 - December 3, 2019 (tentative)
Announce the official list of scholarships recipients to universities
- December 15, 2019 (tentative)
Organize Scholarship Award Ceremony (usually on Saturday, Sunday)
V/ SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION DOSSIERS: (please send the complete scholarship application dossier on time)
- Application form in VietHope format (written on 1-sided A4 paper)+ card photo: compulsory
Download the application form of each university here: Can Tho University, VNU HCMC - University of Science, VNU HCMC - University of Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Economics HCMC, University of Medicine and Pharmacy HCMC, Hue University of Agriculture and Forestry, Hue College of Economics - Hue Univesity
- Certificate of poor household / near-poor household (copy) or certificate of low-income family: compulsory – if not, the application will be eliminated
- A University Offer Letter (or a score report) that provides test results of each applying method (copy), and a grade-12 academic transcript (copy): compulsory
- If you wish to include your academic awards during high school years in the scholarship application, you must submit a copy of your award certificate (highest prize)
- Letter of recommendation from teachers (high school) - optional, but if available will be an advantage for you. Letter of recommendation should contain specific information about the teacher (full name, grade when teaching students, contact number for verification when needed).
*NO NEED FOR A NOTARIZED COPY OF PAPERS
Specific links for each school are as follows:
- Can Tho University: https://bitly.vn/95cm
- Hue College of Economics - Hue Univesity: https://bitly.vn/95di
- Hue University of Agriculture and Forestry: https://bitly.vn/95dw
- VNU HCMC - University of Science: https://bitly.vn/95a7
- VNU HCMC - University of Social Sciences and Humanities: https://bitly.vn/95ct
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy HCMC: https://bitly.vn/95e4
- University of Economics HCMC: https://bitly.vn/95dq
Application for online admission includes:
- All required documents like paper-based dossiers.
- The attached documents should ensure high quality and clarity (you can take pictures or scan in PDF format).
- For students applying online, VietHope will continuously update the list of candidates on our website: www.viethope.org (updated on September 7, September 14, September 21 and 28 respectively). Students that already submitting the form but have not been updated in the list above can contact VietHope directly via email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Ms. Tong Thi Cam Thao)
Note: By the end of November 2019, there will be a short list sent to the University. Shortlisted students will be invited to attend a 10-15' interview at the beginning of December. Details will be sent to Universities, via Email and posted on VietHope website.
VI/ INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICATION
PAPER APPLICATION FORM
Please complete all sections in the application form (an incomplete form will be eliminated right from the review round)
- Part I, II and III - Students, Education & Family background: You should provide full, accurate information about yourself and your family, and must have an email address to contact and regularly check mail to receive VietHope updates related to scholarship review.
- Part IV - Statements: This part is particularly important. Students need to write briefly, not exceeding the allowed blank space in the page
(If students print out a 7-page web form,student must print each essay on an 1-sided A4 paper)
ONLINE APPLICATION FORM
- Instruction for requirements are the same as paper application. Before providing information, the system will ask students to login to a Google / Gmail account.
- In part 4, before filling out the form, in order to avoid mistakes, students should write an offline draft. Example of proces: type the content in a word file, open the link, copy and paste.
- For questions requiring an attached scanned copy, students can use different methods:
- Direct scan.
- Download the CamScanner app (Android / IOS)
- Take photos with your phone (texts and images should be readable)
* Other instructions: VietHope encourages students to hand in a letter of recommendation from a former high school teacher to verify the authenticity of the information you provide in three previous sections as well as better introduce student background & personality.
VII/ PLACE TO RECEIVE APPLICATION FORM
- Method 1:
- Complete the direct registration link.
- Deadline: September 27, 2019
- Students should apply directly via the above link for the purpose of better and more accurate data entry, processing and keeping record.
- List of candidates will be checked with the support of the Scholarship Department at the university.
- Method 2:
- Students receive / download the scholarship application form and submit them before September 23, 2019 at the Scholarship Department of the University.
* For more information about USP, please visit the VietHope website: https://viethope.org/our-programs-2/university-scholarship-program-15
** For further questions, please contact VietHope Volunteers in charge of scholarship program:
Ms. Tong Thi Cam Thao - Assistant of USP 2019-2020
Tel: 035 2533177
** Or contact: Mr. Le Phu Dong, VietHope Senior Director in Vietnam
Tel: 0389 917 039
**** Center of Student Scholarship
* Student Support Center - University of Economics HCMC - 279 Nguyen Tri Phuong, District 10
* Student Affairs Office - VNU HCMC - University of Science
* Student Affairs Office - VNU HCMC - University of Social Sciences and Humanities
* Student Union Office - University of Medicine and Pharmacy HCMC
* Student Affairs Office - Can Tho University
* Student Affairs Office - Hue University of Agriculture and Forestry
* Student Affairs Office - Hue College of Economics - Hue Univesity