Over the past ten years (2002-2012), VietHope has supported more than 1,500 Merit students. This number includes students who have received the Merit Scholarship award for more than one year (the most awarded students were sponsored for as long as 7 years).
Our award recipients have come from many rural areas throughout Vietnam:
- Southern Vietnam: Saigon outskirts, Ca Mau, Dong Thap, Khanh Hoa, Kien Giang, Tien Giang, Dong Nai
- Central Vietnam: Khanh Hoa, Hue, Quang Binh, and Ha Tinh.
- Northern Vietnam: Nam Dinh, Thai Binh, Ha Nam, Phu Tho, and Thai Nguyen.
As a result of our support, Merit students have completed schooling through 12th grade at a higher rate, and have entered into top universities where they continue to keep in touch with VietHope staff. Some universities that our students have been admitted to are the following:
- Can Tho University
- Ha Noi Polytechnic University
- Dong Thap General Education College
- Hue College of Medicine
- Ha Noi Foreign Trade University
Since 2010, the GRACE Education Fund (formerly through the New Moon Foundation), have partnered with VietHope to help over 293 financially disadvantaged Vietnamese students with 400 scholarships of almost $56,000USD. About 100 students have been a part of the VH-GRACE program and we have hosted 6 sessions in 2013 and 2014 to test the effectiveness of distinct strategies for long-term inculcation and build community around GRACE values for over 130 students in grades 6-9 including Gratitude, Respect, Accountability, Courage, and Engagement.